“One of the finest field facilities of its type in the nation”, the Dixon Center offers comfortable, efficient classroom and living accommodations and a diverse 5,300 acre “working forest” for the benefit of students and visitors alike.
Since it's dedication in 1980, the Solon Dixon Forestry Education Center has managed its natural resources and programs to meet the objectives of: (1) providing quality natural resource education to a variety of user groups, particularly Auburn University students; (2) providing a base for and support of research efforts in natural resource fields; (3) serving as a source of information and technology transfer from the scientific community to the general public; and (4) managing its own natural resources wisely and economically to provide income for the Center's programs.
The campus facilities include two “bunkhouse style” dormitories and five "hotel style" dorms with private/semi-private accommodations. A separate private/semi-private staff quarters is available for visiting faculty. Meals are prepared in a full service kitchen/dining hall, while most of the Center's classroom activities take place in the Charles Dixon Auditorium. This is a versatile building constructed with a gift from Solon Dixon's sister-in-law, Mrs. Thelma Dixon in memory of her late husband. Other buildings include the Martha Dixon Administration Building, the recreation building, and the maintenance shop. Residences for the Center Director and Assistant Director are located on the site, as is the historic Dixon Family home, built in the 1830's and maintained as a repository of family and regional memorabilia.